I’m a walking contradiction.
I love ice cream like air itself. I’m lactose intolerant.
I hate hot days, but I love the sun.
I relish in jumping in a cool body of water but I can’t swim.
I live for horror movie marathons but I am the biggest, terrified baby.
If given the chance, I could eat all the cheeseburgers, cake, macaroni and cheese, and anything drenched in a bechemel sauce – but, 70-80% of my diet on a daily basis consists of vegetables, sweet potatoes, beans, and rice because of my IBS.
I know. I’m confusing. But, hey – everyone needs balance. I’ll suffer for real ice cream on some days and on other days, I need to nourish my body the way it begs for and not eat fifteen pounds of Cheetohs.
These Chocolate Sweet Potato Energy Balls are a beautiful creation because they’re fast, easy to make, and delicious. Once I make a batch, they can sit around in the fridge and be ready for me whenever I’m feeling hangry and dangerous. I can also take them to work and not feel sluggish and Jabba-the-Hut-like after eating them. That’s all anyone ever wants, right? To NOT feel like a giant, alien slug while trying to tackle a full day?
Seriously though, you can’t go wrong with only 5 ingredients, 15 minutes of prep – if that, and all the reward of a satisfying, slightly sweet, and secretively healthy snack.
Chocolate Sweet Potato Energy Balls
What You’ll Need:
- 1 large sweet potato (will make about 2 cups of cooked, mashed sweet potato)
- 1/2 cup of peanut butter
- 1/3 cup of rolled oats
- 3 tblsp of cocoa powder
- 2 tblsps of honey (or maple syrup to make it vegan-friendly)
- Extra oats or hemp seeds to roll the balls in (optional)
- Take the whole sweet potato and poke holes into it with a knife or a fork for ventilation. Microwave on a microwave-safe plate in 2 minute intervals, turning the sweet potato onto a different side at the beginning of each 2-minute-set. Will take 5-6 minutes in the microwave.
- While sweet potato is still warm, split it in half and scoop out the flesh into a medium-sized mixing bowl. Combine with the honey, oats, cocoa powder, and peanut butter. Mix together until well-combined. The residual heat will bring everything together, so it is important that the potato is still warm.
- Scoop out a tablespoon of the mixture and roll it into a ball and (optional) roll around in the hemp seeds or the oats. Roll out all the balls until the mixture is used up completely. Let it set at room temperature for 10 minutes to set and then store in the fridge.
Or….eat immediately and feel incredibly rotund and satisfied for the rest of the afternoon.
Makes 12-15 balls.