In fact, I’d say I’m almost never lucky and if anything good happens to me it’s because of the copious amounts of blood, sweat, and tears I’ve shed.
But there are those moments in life where serendipity shines its bright light on me.
When I found my dog, Max.
When my dog found my cat, Ozzy.
When I met the important people in my life.
When I discovered that pizza without cheese isn’t the saddest thing in the world.
Pretty much all of my jobs were found by luck.
And these brownies.
These Triple Chocolate Banana Peanut Butter Brownies may actually fix any miserable day you might be having.
They are fudgey and cakey all at the same time, there is so much chocolate, it uses up those bananas that have been sitting on your counter gathering fruit flies, and um – HELLO, peanut butter?!?!?!
I’ll be honest, I hadn’t really planned on making these brownies. I desperately needed to use up the slight shriveled, blackened bananas that were darkening the surface of my counter. They were just sitting there, taunting me, daring me to continue to ignore them – threatening a horde of fruit flies if I didn’t hurry and use them. I was also skeptical at how these brownies would turn out. One of the reasons baking isn’t always my forte is I have a terrible tendency to experiment. I throw random things in batters and 90% of the time it just does not work out. This one worked. My penchant for chucking everything but the kitchen sink actually worked to my benefit this time!
I had originally planned to make banana bread but I found myself dragging my feet about it. I was so tired of banana bread. One can only make so much banana bread before you throw a tantrum befitting a disturbed child.
You don’t feel this strongly about banana bread?
Ah, well. You knew I was insane.
Anywho. I’m done with your excuses. Get your butt up and moving! Make these things! You won’t be sorry. In fact, you may hate yourself if you DON’T make them.
Only joking. Mostly.
Triple Chocolate Banana Peanut Butter Brownies
What You’ll Need:
- 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup of packed light brown sugar
- 1 stick of unsalted butter (1/2 cup)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup of cocoa powder
- 3 super ripe, medium bananas, mashed but left very chunky
- 2/3 cup of peanut butter
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a large microwave-safe mixing bowl, melt your butter and 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips in the microwave at 30 second intervals until melted. Be sure to stir in between intervals. Once the chocolate and butter is melted, stir in the brown sugar and combine well. Mix in the eggs one egg at a time until thoroughly incorporated.
- Mix the flour, salt, baking powder, and cocoa powder into the chocolate and butter mixture until just combined. Pour in the coffee and incorporate until you have a smooth mixture. Gently fold in your chunked bananas. Pour mixture into a greased, 9-inch square baking dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top of the brownie batter. Then dollop spoonfuls of peanut-butter on top of the brownie batter. I did two rows of three dollops. Take a butter knife and drag it through the peanut butter to make swirls of peanut butter on the surface of the brownie batter.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until you insert a knife in the center and it comes out mostly clean. Let the brownies rest for at least 10 minutes.
Perfect with a good book and a giant mug of tea. Wind down with some decadence. Enjoy!
All the tantalizing photos were taken by Nick W.