It’s kind of a trigger word in some ways, right?
Like, “I’m so healthy I do yoga and eat kale every day.”
“I’m soooo healthy! I ate a whole pint of ice cream and a dozen donuts.”
“Everything is going to kill us someday…I want real food, not health food!”
Coming from someone who tries real hard to balance my donuts with my kale, I feel bad for the word “healthy.” It almost has a bad connotation to it. When you say it, you wince as if you’re expecting a punch in the gut or a hard pinch in the soft spot of your upper arm.
People have spent years trying to convince others that healthy does not mean scary. But ah well…who am I to be the game changer?
In all honesty, this Better-For-You Breakfast Bread is not the game changer that the masses have been calling for. It has plenty of healthful ingredients, sure! It’s pretty delicious warm and slathered in butter as well.
What? Butter is healthy! Right?
Anyways. This Better-For-You Breakfast Bread is just that – better for you than most things you probably eat in the morning but not necessarily the super-food Marvel mutants are fueling themselves with to save the world from impending doom.
What it IS, is a cinnamon-laden, dried fruit-filled, bits-of-chocolate-laced alternative to your normal morning routine. The honey in it gives it a subtle sweetness that warms you from your toes to your head. Or…is that the warm butter I drenched it in dripping onto my toes? Tomato, tomahto.
This bread has no eggs and (potentially) no dairy. There are nuts, but only if you want them there. I’m not a dictator. Make this what YOU want. I threw in a bunch of seeds and fruit and couldn’t help but add chocolate because I’m an addict. This is the ultimate customizable, delectable accompaniment to your early starts.
Also, I made my bread in mini-loaf pans purely because they were adorable. Don’t judge. You can certainly make this in a normal loaf pan and it will turn out just as wonderful (but not nearly as whimsical).
Do yourself a favor – love your body a little bit. Make this bread and eat something delicious and HEALTHY as well. It won’t hurt you one bit.
Better-For-You Breakfast Bread
What You’ll Need:
- 1 3/4 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup of coconut oil – you could also use olive oil or another vegetable oil (melted)
- 1/2 cup of honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup of almond milk (or whatever milk you prefer)
- 1 cup of mashed, very ripe bananas (about two or three bananas)
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- 1/4 tsp of baking soda
Mix-ins (totally optional and totally wonderful)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup of hemp seeds
- 1/8 cup of chia seeds
- 1/8 cup of ground flax seeds
- 1/4 cup of chopped medjool dates
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate (chips or chopped from a bar)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the baking powder, baking soda, and flour. Set aside. In medium bowl, mix together the bananas, honey, vanilla extract, oil, and almond milk. Slowly, fold the wet mixture into the dry, flour mixture until just combined (don’t over mix!)
- GENTLY fold in all of your mix-ins and then spoon batter into a greased 9x5x3 loaf pan. Let the loaf rest for about 5-10 minutes while you clean up. Then bake for 35-45 minutes. Start checking the done-ness around 35 minutes in by inserting a clean butter knife in the middle. It will be done if the knife comes out clean.
*Cook’s Note: Store immediately in an air-tight container in your fridge. If left out in the open – it will harden.
Slice and…do I need to mention the butter again? Also, if butter is not your style…these little slices make the BEST PB&J sammich ever. You’re welcome. Bye.
All these gorgeous pictures were taken by Nick W.